Overclocking is difficult
I have found out that not all GTX 1070 are the same. There is a HUGE difference between manufacturers and different versions.
I ended up getting my 6-GPU rig overclocked to an average of 179MH/s (which is ~29.5MH/s per card).
I am sure there is more tweaking to do as I move foreward, but I am going to leave these setting for a week or so before going back and adjusting.
Through research the GTX 1070 should get an average of 30MH/s per card in a stable configuration.
What I learned
- Stability is the key. I would rather have a machine run stable without daily (or more) reboots
- Research your GPU version and manufacturer
- Take your time with overclocking, start small
- Ethereum depends more on memory speed than clock speed
- Clock speed is important if you are dual mining another altcoin
My MSI Afterburner settings
- Core Voltage: <Default>
- Power Limit: <Default>
- Temp. Limit: <Default>
- Core Clock: +40
- Memory Clock: +550
- Fan Speed: <Auto>